Script (Draft)


FADE IN:

EXT. PRIVATE DETECTIVES OFFICE WINDOW – NIGHT

In the middle of Shropshire, looking at the Detective through window with blinds.

QUICK CUT:

INT. PRIVATE DETECTIVES OFFICE - NIGHT

JAMES ANDERSON, a Private Detective, late 20s, reading through recent news stories and paperwork.

FADE TO:

EXT. ALLEY WAY – NIGHT

In a Shropshire town, camera beginning at shoes then rise up to show face.

KATHLEEN MILLER, a beautiful, sexy, Brunette-haired woman walking down an alley way street.

CUT TO:

INT. PRIVATE DETECTIVES OFFICE – NIGHT

The phone RINGS. James answers the phone.

JAMES

Hello? Yes, it’s Anderson speaking. Oh yes, I’ve already been told about this case, Dr Wilson came in yesterday and-

The office door opens and Kathleen is stood in the doorway.

JAMES

I’ll call you back.

James puts down the phone, Kathleen walks in and sits on the chair opposite. She puts done a pile of papers in front of him.

KATHLEEN

Mr James Anderson, am I correct?

JAMES

You are indeed, Miss… Miss-

KATHLEEN

Miller. Miss Kathleen Miller. Soon to be Miss Kathleen Jones.

JAMES

I see. So, Miss Kathleen Miller, what can I help you with?

Kathleen pushes the papers more towards his direction and taps them with the tip of her fingers.

KATHLEEN

My fiancé went missing last Thursday. His family and I have never gotten along so they have obviously chosen to blame me for his disappearance which I had nothing to do with. I’m just as shocked and worried as they are. I want you to help me prove them wrong.

JAMES

His name?

KATHLEEN

Robert Jones.

The phone RINGS, James picks it up and puts it back down again. His eyes never leaving Kathleen’s face. Kathleen smirks.

DISSOLVE TO:

EXT. QUIET STREET – NIGHT

Kathleen is stood against a wall. James joins her.

JAMES

Good evening.

KATHLEEN

Found anything?

JAMES

No. When I feel as though I’m getting somewhere, it’s always a dead-end. Always.

KATHLEEN

James, I’m not paying you to get to dead-ends all the time.


JAMES

I know, I’m trying but all the papers you gave me full of information about your fiancé doesn’t make any sense. It’s all a puzzle.

KATHLEEN

Well then, I guess you’re just going to have to put the pieces together and complete the puzzle.

Kathleen wraps her shawl around her and walks off into the distance.


JAMES (V.O.)

I never saw Miss Kathleen Miller again, although I did receive letters from her on a weekly basis with the odd phone call to see if I had arrived anywhere. I hadn’t.

CUT TO:

INT. PRIVATE DETECTIVES OFFICE – NIGHT

James is re-looking through the papers.

JAMES (V.O.)

I still arrived at a dead-end every single time, no matter how hard I tried. I phone called everybody in Robert Jones’ family, and she was right. They don’t get along. Every single person pointed a finger at her. It all led back to her. Dead-end is now a nickname for Kathleen Miller.

Last shot is James circling Kathleen Miller’s name on a piece of paper.

FADE OUT:


END.

-Anastasia Newton





Annotated version:


 







  


Comments

Popular Posts