Year 13 Media Project - Jack Otter

On the 4th of January my friend, Jack Otter (a year 13 A Level Media student), filmed some clips of me for his final project as I agreed to help him out and act in it.
We drove around and he filmed certain clips in planned locations that he had for a few hours.

Jack says "This will be a drama documentary (docudrama), but in Year 13 it is a more independent study so some students are doing Sitcoms, some are doing Chick Flicks, etc. It depends on your personal preference of what you'd like to put hours into studying."


His drama documentary is about the life of a woman who changes drastically from a stable, happy, office worker to a broken, depressed lady. Including interviews and flashbacks to recreate and support the story told.
And I will be playing the character of the woman.



This is one of the clips that Jack filmed yesterday (unedited), located in an empty playground which is a symbol of part of a memory that the character had when she was younger, before her life began to fall apart.
In this clip, Jack uses two different angles. Firstly, a slightly low-angle mid-shot which then changes to a long-shot, establishing the scene. He would possibly split this to get rid of the camera movement as it is unstable or just decide on which shot in the clip he likes most and cut out the other shot.

Why did I decide to act in it?
I thought that it would be a fantastic experience to help Jack with this since I could get a variety of inspiration from his ideas, shot types, locations, and more to prepare me for the final product I will have to do.
I have already acted in one of his media projects before in mid-2017, but with the genre 'Horror' where I played a psychotic, creepy child, covered in blood.

Plus, I could get lots of ideas from doing something media related from a different point of view since in media class, I am behind the camera instead of in front of it but being in front of the camera, it could help me decide where I want the characters to be, or what facial expressions I want them to do, etc. It's always great to get a different view or angle of things and to get out of your comfort zone and try new things that could benefit you and your studies.
I am beyond excited to watch his completed documentary after finishing filming and editing.

Comments

Popular Posts